Sunday, 9 March 2014

Five Influential Reads

Recently I've seen a similar tag floating around in the booktube community, so I started to ponder which books have influenced my life. Here are just a few:


Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson
This book is full of adventure and inspired within me a desire to see the world.



Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
The first book I remember buying with my own money. I first read this at aged nine and have reread it time and time again. Jane Eyre has shown me why classics are so beloved, as well as introducing me to Gothic fiction.



Oleanna by David Mamet
An assigned read in my English Literature course. Oleanna allowed me to consider the importance of education in society as well as in my personal life.




Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
Through Mitch's memories of Morrie, I realised truly how much one person can inspire a generation. 

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys
This was another assigned read and I studied it alongside Jane Eyre. Wide Sargasso Sea has deeply influenced my views on the treatment of women and mental health, both past and present.









2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on Tuesdays with Morrie. I had the opportunity to meet Mitch Albom last week and I nearly cried since he is one of my most favorite authors and also one of the people whom I look up to the most.

    Have your read his The Five People You Meet in Heaven? It's my favorite book by him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a fantastic opportunity!! Did you manage to get an autograph or photo? Unfortunately, I haven't read The Five People You Meet in Heaven yet - but whenever I pass it in book shops I have to urge to buy it. Next time I'll get it :)

    ReplyDelete