Thursday, 21 November 2013


It's been 7 weeks since I gave birth to my beautiful son - I can't believe it's gone by so quickly!

At first I was apprehensive about being a mother. The two lines on the test freaked me out. I had only just gotten married and there I was pregnant?! It seemed unreal. Of course my husband, JP, was excited. I just sat there my mouth wide open thinking, "My life is over." Because I knew that as soon as you become a mum the life you knew changes drastically.

This nervousness was not helped by the fact that I got sick, REALLY sick. Each day, all day, I could not keep any food or drink down. I felt dizzy, faint and weak. JP nagged me to go to a doctor, but I come from a stubborn family and believed I would just power through it. Two weeks later, I finally gave in and went to the dreaded doctors office. The doctor confirmed this wasn't normal morning sickness, that I had hypermesis gravidum (the same thing as Kate Middleton) and, given how dehydrated I was, I was lucky that I wasn't already hospitalised or dead. He gave me sickness medication, instructing me to drink coke with sugar to take out the fizz (weird is exactly what I thought) - apparently it was to quickly get salt and sugar into my system. He told me if things worsened or there was no improvement in the next few hours to call back so I could be hospitalised.

Even with the sickness tablets I STILL threw up; though not as much, so I didn't have to be hospitalised. However, I had so little energy that it was hard to do anything. I was in bed for nearly 2 whole weeks. JP had to balance working and helping take care of me. I cannot tell you how grateful I am that we were living with his parents at that time - we wouldn't have been able to cope otherwise!

Finally at 20 odd weeks the sickness stopped. It was like a miracle! From then on I actually began to enjoy my pregnancy...

The labour was smooth sailing in comparison to the hypermesis, and since then I haven't looked back. I'm lucky to be here, I'm lucky to have such wonderful in-laws, I'm lucky to have my son.

Two week old Toby.

No comments:

Post a Comment